Monday, October 13, 2014

Humans highly attuned to detect spiders Springfield news leader


My article is Humans Highly Attuned To Detect Spiders by the Spring field News Leader from October 15, 2014.  In this article is a argument about why "More than half noticed and identified a picture of a spider"  and what makes this amazing is "It appeared for just 200 milliseconds on a computer test".   Many say its because we are highly attuned to detect spiders because ancient man "evolved in Africa in the company of highly poisonous spiders." I personally do not agree with this statement because like many others I think its just because "had learned to fear them."

3 comments:

  1. I wonder....how do we 'learn to fear them'? That is crazy that we can notice them in that short of a time. I wonder if you aren't afraid of them if you still notice them as quickly? For some reason, I'm not afraid of spiders but can spot a snake in a nano-second. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Mrs. Bronn, our brains can only process images or sounds in 40 milliseconds, and one nano-second is way smaller than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I used an exaggeration here to help you understand my fear of snakes. :-)

    ReplyDelete