Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Solar Energy


Solar panels are a source of energy that uses sunlight to create power. Solar panels are several little cells joined together with a outer protective layer to create a frame or solar panel.  If the Sahara Desert was covered in solar panels, it would make 40 times more electricity than the whole world! Another way to use the sun as electricity is trapping the heat of the sun.  Today we were in Saint Louis and we passed the office for Ameren, which is a power company. They had solar panels out front of the office and we took a picture.
There are many different uses for solar panels like home electricity and electricity in space. Solar energy is becoming more common another sources of energy are becoming more expensive.  "In the 21st century solar energy is expected to become increasingly attractive as an energy source because of its inexhaustible supply and its nonpolluting character, in stark contrast to the finite fossil fuels coalpetroleum, and natural gas." (www.brittanica.com) I hope someday to have solar panels on my house so we can save money by collecting energy from the sun.

I got my information from How things work by Miles Kelly

I got my photo from google images

1 comment:

  1. That is really interesting! I wish you could post the picture you took of the panel in front of that business.

    ReplyDelete