Monday, December 1, 2014

How Mountains are formed

I am on a trip to Utah right now, and every day while I am here, I look around and see mountains. Really tall mountains every where around me. I was wondering about how they were formed. I did some research and found that there are four main types of ways that mountains form.

1:There are things called tectonic plates under the ground. They are big pieces of Earth that surround the whole world. When two of the plates crash together, the collision makes the material from the plates shoot up and form mountains.

2: Sometimes the plates grind together. When they rub up against each other, one of the plates pushes the other one up to form mountains.

3: I'm sure everyone has heard of volcanoes. This third way is what I call the un-erupting volcano. It's when magma from the earth pushes up on the surface of the world, just like a volcano, but doesn't erupt. An example of this is the volcano Mount St. Helens before it erupted.

4: If there is a tall plateau, sometimes a river will erode away the rock on the sides to form a mountain.

Now these formations don't happen instantly. They can take thousands and thousands of years of to completely grow. Even some mountains are still growing!



1 comment:

  1. Great explanation & I love that you are looking around you to 'wonder'! Keep researching this because remember you need 3 reliable sources! See you next Thursday!

    ReplyDelete