Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Monarch Migration & Tagging Program

  My mom and I attended the Monarch Migration & Tagging Program on September 24th.
We learned that Monarch Butterflies begin migrating when there is the first big cold front.  We were also taught how to catch, tag, and release them properly.  You have to be very careful when handling the butterflies so you don't hurt them.
  Monarch Butterflies breed in the United States and Canada, and then migrate to Mexico.  I now know that recording when and where tagging take place is important, so we can keep track of the butterflies and their migration.
  When you find and catch a Monarch, if it has a tag, call the number that is on the tag to report your finding.  Also, you should report when and where you saw the butterfly on a data sheet.  If there is no tag on the Monarch, tag it.  You would also need to report your finding.
  This was a fun program to attend, and I learned a lot more about Monarch's and their migration!
  By, Callie



 

2 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised they start to migrate when it gets cold. I'd do the same, Mexico is better than a freezing bottom!
    I think it's really cool that people take time to tag these creatures so they can track them. Thanks for giving me a heads up, I'll be calling any number I see on a monarch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long does the process take to tag them?

    ReplyDelete