Thursday, October 13, 2016

Pluto

I chose to study Pluto as my science minor and I found some very interesting facts that I will share with you and I hope you find them helpful. Did you know that despite Pluto's size it is actually the largest planet in the Kuiper Belt. Ironic right? Well, Pluto was also named by an 11 year old girl, which seems pretty crazy if you think of it. Pluto is the roman version of Hades the God of the Underworld. Pluto has 11,000 feet mountains and is also covered in methane and nitrogen ice. Since the surface of Pluto is ice scientists believe that a bedrock kind of substance holds up these mountains. Seems very cold and desolate. Pluto has a diameter of 1,430 miles which is less than ⅕ the size of Earth’s diameter. Did you know that Pluto’s heart is made of carbon monoxide ice all on its left side, and in the center left it is very smooth which means that it is a very new land form. Interesting huh? Speaking of ice scientists have found that the way Pluto reflects light on ice is very different compared to other planets. Due to being covered in ice and also one of the farthest planets from the sun temperatures can get to be -375 degrees Fahrenheit and -225 degrees Celsius. The final fact I have to share with you is that as spacecrafts have gone up and around Pluto’s surface they have found that as time goes on Pluto gets redder. I don't really know why this is. I hope you found this helpful.

These are the sources that helped me:

7 comments:

  1. Pluto is my type of place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I found interesting was that Pluto was named by a little girl! A question I have is how far away is Pluto from Earth?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so weird that Pluto turns red! Why is Pluto covered in methane and nitrogen ice? Are the chemicals in the air?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know Pluto was named by an eleven year old girl. I would like to know how far it is from the Sun to Pluto.

    ReplyDelete
  5. its interesting how the surface of Pluto gets more red. i wonder if Pluto has a second name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How was Pluto named by an 11 year old girl?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea that Pluto was less than one fifth the earth's size.

    ReplyDelete